There are easy things that we can do everyday that make life a little bit easier to live. This does not mean that you need another gadget, or that you need to schedule more into your day. It often means eliminating some of the physical and mental clutter in your life. Try out a few of these tips:
1. Redefine Success-There are many "successful" people who are terribly unhappy. Define success by your happiness, not from outside sources.
2. Make your life your work instead of making work your life-Learn to leave work at work, and to live your life the best way you can during the rest of the time.
3. Be Mindful-Stay in the present. Try not to worry and fret too much about what is coming down the road. Spend more time in the moment and enjoy that time while it occurs.
4. De-Clutter-Do you really need all of that stuff, or can some of it go somewhere else?
5. Buy Less-Think about what you buy. Are you buying it because you need it or want it? Will it add to your happiness, or will it just create more chaos?
6. Buy Smarter-Purchase products that serve more than one purpose. Buy what you need at a thrift store or garage sale. Re-purpose and reuse when you can.
7. Get Out of Debt-Easier said than done, but fewer bills and less debt can simplify life in so many ways.
8. Choose Friends Wisely-Relationships with other people can complicate your life in a negative way. Do not allow your relationships to take over your life. They are important, but a few great friends is better than a bunch of mediocre ones.
9. Plant a Garden-At first this may seem to make life more complicated. But a garden allows you and your family to connect with nature, and to unplug from other things going on. A bonus is that it also puts food on your table.
10. Recycle-Feel bad about getting rid of clutter because you do not want to throw things away? Check out www.freecycle.org for a great way to recycle your items that may still have use for someone else.
11. Buy Local-By doing so, you reduce your carbon footprint and support the local economy. It may cost a few dollars more to buy a book at your local book store, but take away the shipping cost, and you may find that you are saving money.
12. Prioritize-Having strong priorities will make life so much easier. You will not spread yourself too thin, and will accomplish the things that are most important to you.
13. Volunteer-This only works if you can do it without interrupting your other priorities. But there is something about volunteering your time that creates positivity in your life. Doing for others feels great.
14. Learn Basic Skills-Teach yourself to sew. Build a garden bed, or make cheese. Meet with a friend to learn how to knit a basic sock pattern. The more that you can do for yourself, the less reliant you are on others to meet your needs.
15. Make Your Own Cleaning Products-A simple Google search will give you lots of websites with recipes for cleaning products. Make your own, save money and reduce chemical contamination in your home.
16. Exercise-Staying healthy simplifies your life as you will spend less time at the doctor and will have less down time. A great way to do this is to exercise. You do not need a gym membership, get out in the yard, go for a walk or play with your kids.
17. Eat Well-This does not mean diet. It means eat good food. The closer your food is to the way it came out of the ground, the better it is for you. Avoid processed products to save money and for better taste.
18. Read-When you have time, read a book about something that you are interested in. It is good to stimulate your mind and to relax at the same time.
19. Unplug-Do you have an electronic device in your hands at all times? It may be time to unplug for a few hours. Schedule time in your day that is technology free.
20. Connect with Nature-Take a walk around the block as spring approaches. Notice what is in bloom, say hi to your neighbors, teach your child about a bird he sees. Nature is healing.
21. Give Things Away-Having a yard sale is a great idea if the timing is right, but if you are clearing out in the middle of winter, do not save those items till summer. Pack them up and donate them. Ask around with your friends to see if anyone can use what you have. Giving, like volunteering, is good for the soul.
22. Do What You Love-You cannot always make a career out of what you love, but you can find ways to fit your passion into your life.
23. Have a Routine-Routines are one of the best ways to keep life simple. This is especially true if you have children. Remember however that it is okay to break a routine for something special.
24. Keep a Journal-This is a great way to stay in touch with yourself. If something needs to change in your life, you will probably find out about it in your journal. It only takes a few minutes a day and is very valuable.